Do we control technology or does technology control us?
Technology is almost everywhere we look, since we are surrounded by things produced by art or craft. In general, it seems that anything human beings do that is not natural involves us in some way with technology. Below are a series of observations about technology in the world today. Do you think each observation is ‘True’ or ‘False’? Write a few paragraphs (don’t just answer yes/no for each prompt).
1. Cars will eventually be made so that they will not cause excessive harm to the environment.
2. Farmers will determine ways to feed the world’s growing population and eliminate hunger.
3. Human beings can stop doing research on computer technology whenever they decide it is to their advantage to do so.
4. Global warming is not a serious problem.
5. Technology will use up so many natural resources that it will harm the environment.
6. There are more advantages than disadvantages of technology.
7. People do not rely too much on technology.
8. Life is better now than 100 years ago because of technology.
We’d love to hear your views.
The Technologically Challenged Grade Six English Teachers
(Ref: Philosophy for Kids)